This guide will help you setup your VIVE Focus 3 headsets for use with the new VIVE Business+ system and enable additional features in the Spawnpoint interface including map management, remote firmware updates and peripheral monitoring.
If you don't have a VIVE Business+ Organisation, please email email@example.com for more information and to purchase licenses for your headsets. We will be migrating existing DMS customers to VB+ over the course of the next few months.
Preparing your Headsets
First, ensure your headset has been updated to the latest firmware, it should be on at least 5.0.999.820 released July 2023. If you are enrolling a lot of brand-new-in-box headsets please contact us for information on performing an offline firmware update to speed up the process.
If you were previously using the VIVE Device Management System (DMS) you may need to allow the update in the DMS before it will show up in the headset. Click here to access the DMS, then go to Manage Devices > VIVE Focus 3, navigate to each device in the list and click the "Request Update" button. If there is a message saying "Perform the system update on the device." then the update should already be showing in the headset.
If your headsets are enrolled in the DMS with a batch configuration applied using a microSD card, you will first need to factory reset your headsets to remove the link to the DMS. You can do this in the headset under Settings > Advanced > Reset and selecting Erase all Data.
If you have not used LBSS on your VIVE Focus 3 before, you do not need to factory reset your headsets.
Creating your Config
We recommend creating your batch configuration before enrolling your headsets. If you purchased your licenses through us we may have created a "Spawnpoint Recommended" config for you which matches the below settings as well as a group to enroll your headsets into. In which case you can skip forward to Connecting VIVE Business+ to your Spawnpoint Account, though we recommend reading through our recommended batch configuration options below anyway.
Login to VIVE Business+, select your organisation from the dropdown list and go to the Batch Configuration section. Click the Create button and select VIVE Focus 3.
Here's are our recommended batch configuration settings, you may name your configuration whatever you like in the Information tab.
Note: all of these settings can be updated over the air later on, so do not fret if you are unsure about something.
- Set your language and timezone according to your local region
- Enable "Double-click Passthrough" and "Bluetooth"
- Add your Wi-Fi network, we recommend setting "Private MAC Address" to "Use Device MAC"
- Enable "Auto Passthrough", you can set your boundary colour and transparency to your preference
- Enable "USB Debugging" and "Install Unknown Apps"
- Set Sleep Mode to "Never" or "180 minutes" to ensure reliable connectivity to Spawnpoint and other network-driven applications
- You may wish to disable VIVE Sync and VIVE Browser here, if you do not intend on using them
- We recommend using Spawnpoint's own Kiosk Mode for better real-time control of your headsets
- Set your tracking mode to "LBE Mode"
- If you would like to use "Drift Prevention" or "Scene Alignment" please check out HTC VIVE's own guides on these features
- Enable "Lost Tracking Option"
- Enable "Boundary Related Messages" - disabling this may prevent you from drawing a boundary during map creation. You can disable the boundary popup using Spawnpoint later
- Enable "Get lost tracking events"
- Enable "Hide Reset View"
- You may wish to enable "Hide Store" and "Hide Profile"
- Disable "VIVE Button on Controller" to prevent your users from accidentally opening the VIVE Menu during gameplay
- Enable "Headset Button" - we recommend this so that you can still access the VIVE Menu via the button on the side of the headset, in case you need to exit an application manually
- Disable "USB Connection" to disable the popup whenever you plug the headset into a PC
- Disable "Open VIVE menu with hand gesture"
- Enable "Skip Setup" and select "Skip entire initial setup"
Set your "SHA-1 certificate fingerprint" to the below value, this will ensure Spawnpoint has access to the VIVE Focus 3 LBE APIs for map sharing, boundary management and more:
If this option has already been set to something else then you may already have another platform that is utilising the LBE APIs. You will need to decide which platform you would like to use for headset management and proceed accordingly. Generally this config option only needs to be set to the certificate fingerprint of the platform you wish to use for map, boundary and headset settings management, and should not be required for normal game operation and day to day use regardless of the platform you're using.
You can now save your batch configuration.
The technical bit, skip this paragraph if you're not interested: the certificate fingerprint is tied to APK of the management software installed on your headset, and is used to securely identify the developer of the app. Setting the certificate fingerprint option allows any app that has been "signed" by that developer to talk to the LBE APIs on the headset and perform tasks such as map import/export, reboot/shutdown, modify the boundary and more.
Create your Group
Create a group for your headsets under Manage Devices > Group, select "VIVE Focus 3", then name your group appropriately as you see fit and select your newly created batch configuration from the dropdown further down the page. You can leave the other settings as the defaults.
Connecting VIVE Business+ to your Spawnpoint Account
You now need to connect your VIVE Business+ account to your Spawnpoint Organisation, this is a completely secure process and you may disconnect your account again at any time without affecting your already enrolled headsets.
- Visit the Spawnpoint Account Manager and login with your Spawnpoint Account Details
- Ensure you are on the correct Spawnpoint organisation, you should see your name at the top of the sidebar (e.g. "John Smith") followed by the organisation you are currently (e.g. "Bluefox VR Arcades") - if you are not in the correct organisation click on the organisation name and select the correct organisation from the dropdown.
- Click "Connect to VIVE Business+" in the sidebar
- Click the "Connect to VIVE Business+" button to open the VIVE Business+ login page, proceed through the login process until you see either "Login Succeeded" or you are greeted with the VIVE Business+ Dashboard, you can then close this tab and return to the Spawnpoint Account Manager
- Click the "I have logged in to VB+" button, this may take a moment to load while we contact the VIVE Business+ Servers
- Click "Connect" next to the VIVE Business+ organisation you would like to link to this Spawnpoint organisation
- Your VIVE Business+ organisation will now be linked to your Spawnpoint organisation, and you will see your organisation name and the number of used/total seats.
Enrolling your Headsets into VIVE Business+
You can now use Spawnpoint to enroll your headsets into VIVE Business+, this will also enable the Spawnpoint Advanced Integrations which allows you to manage your tracking maps, boundary settings and more directly from Spawnpoint. Please make sure you have an active internet connection during this process.
- Open your Spawnpoint Operator Interface, you can find a shortcut to this in your Start Menu, on your Desktop or by visiting https://localhost:4376 on the same PC as your Spawnpoint controller.
- Plug your VIVE Focus 3 headset into you the PC you installed Spawnpoint onto. If you have not yet added this headset to Spawnpoint, please do so now
- Navigate to the management page for this headset, this can be found under the Arenas tab by selecting the device name in the sidebar
- Go to Device Controls > Enroll Headset into VB+
- If this device is not currently online in Spawnpoint, you will have the opportunity to enter WiFi details to connect it to your network.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed through the enrollment process
- Repeat the enrollment process for each headset
- Once you have enrolled all of your headsets, you can navigate to the Manage Devices > Groups section of VIVE Business+, select a group and enroll your headsets via the Add Devices button on that group's page.
Your headsets will now sync up the batch configuration applied to their groups, and may reboot during this process. You'll then be all set to use your VIVE Focus 3s in VB+ with LBE Mode and all of the customisation options it offers!